The Body Awake
29 March – 1 April, 2024
An Sanctoir, West Cork, Ireland
Being fully present within offers a gateway to attune to wholeness in others. It enables us to expand our perceptual skills towards unravelling the root patterns within the body that bind us to stress and disharmony.
Residential retreat in the wilds of West Cork.
Introduction to an integrative bodywork system of practice with a foundational base
in body based practices and listening.
No experience necessary. For beginner and experienced practitioners alike.
Our purpose of this retreat:
This residential retreat is a deep dive into the body space. We will be introducing an Integrative Bodywork system of practice together with the body based tools of breathwork, meditation and guided movement practices to discover deeper levels of core and connection and develop a felt sense of presence and wholeness.
This retreat is open and valuable to beginners with no experience in somatic movement or bodywork and also those who are experienced practitioners as the practical bodywork applications can be applied in multiple modalities of massage, yoga, teaching etc.
On this retreat we will be working with:
- A bodywork sequence to release core tension from the body and re-calibrate the nervous system.
- How to deepen into a self practice to cultivate stillness and resilience for oneself, for practicing bodywork or teaching classes.
- How to listen to another body with our hands and whole being and trust the guidance of what we are feeling.
- How to engage and interact with the fascia and “fluid body” system.
- Inviting curiosity and play into our practice.
- Nurturing ourselves deeply through connection with nature.
- Somatic movement and meditations, chi gong, myofascial yoga, Thai yoga massage techniques, principle of Osteopathy, and more.
“I had the most wonderful week! Fully nourished on all levels. I feel I really got a very good understanding and grasp of the material and feel confident bringing this into the “real world”. So much heart and fun from the facilitators and the group. Great craic and deep relaxation. Very happy and grateful.”
“Absolutely beautiful space held to learn some concrete Thai massage but so much more beyond words – renewal in my body, rekindling my passion for sacred bodywork and lots of wonderful new friends. Thank you for providing such an open, fun and held space.”
“Erica and Suzie created a wonderful, caring space for learning and personal development. They strove to meet everyone’s individual needs, are both patient and clear teachers with an excellent command of their specialist areas. The course easily met my expectations, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend!”
During this weekend, you will receive:
- Space and guidance to explore the inner depths on your own body, through a variety of different movement classes, exercises and experiences based upon chi gong, myofascial and somatic bodywork and nature-based practices. This will be a time for you to be with and listen to your body’s intelligence, to hear what it may be speaking to you at this time, and to give your body some love and attention.
- An experience of using touch and bodywork skills as another way to access the knowledge within our own bodies, or to incorporate into your own massage or teaching practice.
- Four days in the countryside, on a peaceful, community-run land, to connect with nature and disconnect from the distractions of our day-to-day lives, to give space to listen within and hear what our bodies and spirits are speaking to us at this time.
- Nourishment from our locally based chef, catering our vegetarian and vegan meals to keep your body feeling fed, alive and energized, to be taken care of so you can rest and be on retreat.
- A safely held and guided space for your own personal process of journeying through the body, and your own self-healing.
- Gathering with like-minded and spirited people, creating heart filled and meaningful connection.
Erica has been practicing yoga, spirituality and healing modalities for over 12 years. Having explored other forms of bodywork already, she found a real connection and faith upon discovering Thai Yoga Massage and hasn’t looked back since. She received her practitioner certificate through the Sunshine Network in 2015 and runs her private practice in Lisbon, Portugal since 2017. She continues to study regularly with a variety of teachers, and assisting her regular teachers in their own trainings.
Her studies have branched out into osteopathy and shamanism, including how nature, the elements and energy all play a part in who we are. Erica believes in our ability to heal ourselves, and shares these modalities as a complement and support to help her clients and students along their own personal journeys.
Susan is a licensed physiotherapist, myo-fascial therapist, movement educator, Pilates and yoga instructor and life-long student of meditation and the eastern healing arts. She received her professional training in UCD school of physiotherapy, graduating with a Bachelor of Physiotherapy degree and currently delving deep into the study of visceral osteopathy.
Susan offers bespoke workshops to introduce people to working with the body in a fluid and dynamic way, inspired by the depth of what she has experienced receiving bodywork herself and her own direct experience and clients responses in over 30 years working in the therapeutic field.
Follow Susan through her website at fluidbody.ie
When and where:
Arrivals from 10am on Friday March 29th.
Departures after lunch/afternoon on Monday April 1st.
The course will take place at An Sanctoir, in Ballydehob, West Cork, Ireland.
An Sanctoir is a multicultural community sanctuary hosting holistic activities which encourage self-awareness, and nourish the human spirit, the land and the environment. Situated in 30 acres of beautiful nature reserve, it is the ideal place to be surrounded and supported by Mother Nature as we dive into our own physical and psychological nature on our journey as bodyworkers. There is access to many walks along the land, places for contemplation when you need, and open spaces to gather and play. Located just outside the center of Ballydehob, there is also access by car to some local shops and cafés.
This is an example of what a daily schedule of our regularly courses could look like. Due to the slightly different nature of this retreat, the precise schedule is still to be determined, and is always possible to change.
7:30 – 8:45: Embodied movement class/meditation
8:45 – 9:30: Breakfast
9:30 – 1:00: Integrative Bodywork morning class
1:00 – 4:00: Lunch and break
4:00 – 7:00: Integrative Bodywork afternoon class
7:00 – 8:00: Dinner
8:00 – 9:30: Optional nightly gatherings / rituals
The price of the course varies on whether you choose to stay in a private room, dorm room or on the grounds in your own tent. Bedding is provided only if you choose to stay in the house. For dorm and private rooms, space is limited so please do register early if you need this option. If you bring your own tent, please note you must also bring your own bedding, as needed.
Your own tent on the grounds: €425
Shared 6-bed dorm room: €500 – note that the dorm space requires climbing up a small ladder to a loft.
Private room: €515 – private rooms are currently booked out, while we are looking for some alternative options off site. Note that the village of Ballydehob is about a 5 minute drive away. If you would like to organize your own accommodation in the village, and come in for the day (if you are coming by car), then the final course fee would be €410 including all meals.
Early bird discount, if registered by February 20th – 100€ off
Food and accommodation includes:
- Two main vegetarian/vegan meals per day, plus breakfast.
- 3 nights and 4 days in a serene and natural landscape.
- Community-oriented, comfortable and down-to-earth accommodation.
- Option for private room or single dorm bed in a cozy and spacious shared house.
- For those staying in the house, sheets, pillow and towels are provided.
- Plenty of space on the grounds to support your own internal processes and journey during the weekend.
Registration and Payment Terms
To reserve your space, we require the registration form to be completed (follow the button below) and payment of a 150€ deposit made by SEPA transfer to the account below, or other form agreed upon.
Please write EASTER-YOUR-NAME in the transfer details, for our reference.
The remainder of the payment is due in cash on the first day of the course. If you would like to schedule a payment plan, to help you manage the cost of the course, please let us know in the comments in the registration form and we can set that up with you.
*In the case of event cancellation or date change by the organizers, the full deposit will be refunded.
SEPA Transfer Details:
Account Name: Erica Goodman
IBAN: BE39 9673 1815 5619
BIC – TRWIBEB1XXX
Avenue Louise 54, Room S52 Brussels 1050 Belgium